Education Requirements: One year certificate from a technical school; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: One year related experience.
Position Summary: Safely operate a motor grader to construct or maintain road surfaces within the design criteria specified.
Essential Job Functions
- Operates equipment generally on uneven surfaces to maintain hual roads and assist in building new roads.
- Drives blade and moves levers to regulate height and angle of blade, lower scarifier that loosens packed soil to permit grading, and to tilt front wheels of grader when making sharp turns.
- Drives blade in successive passes over working areas usually observing reference stakes to level surface to specified grade.
- Feels levers and sound of engine to determine depth of cut.
- Operates equipment safely both forward and reverse directions in close quarters with other heavy equipment.
- May perform fine or rough grading.
- Greases, oils, and performs minor repairs on equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.