Education Requirements: Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Occupational safety/health or related degree. Knowledge and ability to comply with federal, state, local and company safety regulation requirements. Electrical safety, crane safety and structural knowledge a plus.
Experience: Previous construction experience a plus.
Position Summary: The Site Safety Coordinator Intern will assist the Safety Coordinator in planning, implementing and supervising project safety, assure accident and fire protection programs are in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local program standards. Approximately 65% of work time should be spent in the field conducting audits, crew visits, subcontractor visits, etc.
Essential Job Functions
- Will assist and collaborate with site supervisory personnel to identify and remedy unsafe working conditions, immediately if necessary in establishing an injury free work site.
- Conduct regular walk through inspections and audits of construction area; visit with the crews and subcontractors to ensue safe work practices; assist in the investigation of all accidents and near misses with the trade superintendents and required foremen and crew; accompany all safety, health, and insurance inspectors on walk through tours; and ensure all documentation is completed according to corporate and outside safety processes and procedures.
- Ensure that communication with other personnel and owners are executed in such a manner that integrity, honesty, and ethics are prevalent in all exchanges both verbal and written. Participate in daily (at a minimum) project safety related discussions with the Safety Coordinator, Site Manager, Assistant Site Manager, and Trade Superintendents.
- Collaborate with site safety and corporate safety representatives in reviewing all safety documentation to insure all required records and reports are complete, accurate, and submitted timely. Ensure appropriate corrective actions are implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensure and assist the site team with executing the site safety program, which includes training and orientations, JHA’s, and CATS observations throughout the project site.
- Assisting in changing behavior oriented towards safety. Teaching (vs. telling) in a manner that allows individuals to understand the reasoning behind the behaviors we desire.
- Follow through with injury management and collaborate with supervisors to mitigate claims and exposure to costs with personnel, subcontractors, and equipment.
- Maintain working relationships with local EMT's, fire departments, law enforcement officials, and identified occupational physicians. Comply with company’s Return-to-Work policy.
- Work to make safety a behavior rather than a policy or goal we look to adhere to.
- Participate in Blattner Energy safety related training programs to include OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 hour trainings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to recognize imminent danger and act accordingly.
- Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record.
- Ability to give presentations to large groups of employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (preferred knowledge of Visio).
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks.
- Good communication skills (oral, written, listening, and presentation).
- Ability to motivate others.
- Effective interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Must be willing and able to climb a wind turbine.
- Site Safety Coordinator Interns are expected to re-locate to the project site for the duration of the internship.