Ensures surfaces are properly prepared for painting. Paints equipment, parts, machinery, interiors and exteriors of ships and shipyard buildings using approved methods as directed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Mixes paints and/or solvents as required.
- Smooths surfaces using sandpaper, scrapers and sanding machines.
- Operates and maintains equipment.
- Performs minor maintenance on sprayer equipment.
- Performs normal labor clean-up tasks as required.
- Works with minimum supervision.
- May be assigned miscellaneous tasks outside craft as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Thorough knowledge of coatings and coating systems and surface preparations
- Substantial prior spray painting experience
- Able to read and interpret paint manuals
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
One year certificate from college or technical school; three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee must be able to wear a respirator (either supplied-air or filtered).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must comply with Company safety rules and OSHA standards.
- Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment as prescribed under OSHA standards.
Employee Owned Company | Health & Dental Benefits
EOE / DFW / F / Vet / Disabled Employer