Insulet started in 2000 with an idea and a mission to enable our customers to enjoy simplicity, freedom and healthier lives through the use of our Omnipod® product platform. In the last two decades we have improved the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients by using innovative technology that is wearable, waterproof, and lifestyle accommodating.
We are looking for highly motivated, performance driven individuals to be a part of our expanding team. We do this by hiring amazing people guided by shared values who exceed customer expectations. Our continued success depends on it!
The Controls and Instrumentation Technician will be a critical contributor in a mission that truly represents an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join a company that is making significant investments in establishing US manufacturing, expanding internationally, and delivering a consistent cadence of product innovations to the market and investing in its people.
The successful candidate will be responsible for bringing to life assembly and process equipment for the startup of new Manufacturing Operations in Acton, MA. The role will then transition to direct engineering and maintenance of equipment in Acton, MA with accountability to ensure a high level of machine uptime and minimal production scrap on complex discrete component assembly equipment.
This individual will be responsible for the installation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and improvement of process equipment. They will also be trained and cross-trained to repair, maintain and improve the reliability of various stations including: lasers, optical gaging devices, continuity testing, inspection, etc. Controls and Instrumentation technicians must be quality-conscious, aggressively self-directed, motivated team players, and willing trainers-eager to gain and share new knowledge.
• Sound hands on technical ability with controls infrastructure methodologies including PLCs, Vision systems, HMIs, communications, database management and drives (i.e. servo, VFDs etc.).
• Strong proficiency in PLC programming (Rockwell ControlLogix), HMI programming, Cognex vision systems setup and programming desired
• Strong Knowledge of VFD and Servo drives and motion control (AB & SEW preferred)
• Experience with machine vision is a strong plus (Keyence and Cognex preferred)
• Strong knowledge of PID loops and process control concepts
• SQL Server Database knowledge and Visual Basic Programming a plus
• Take a rigorous, disciplined and hands-on approach to maintain equipment and processes reliability and execute process improvement activity
• An in depth knowledge and understanding of NFPA 79/NFPA 70E and machine safety standards a strong benefit.
• Extensive experience with wiring automated machinery.
• Extensive experience in troubleshooting control circuits of automation equipment.
• Direct hands on involvement in installation, start-up, qualification, and debug of new automation.
• Onsite acceptance testing of new equipment under construction at the machine builder's facility
• Thoroughly document maintenance activity using the maintenance database, adequately communicate maintenance issues to appropriate employees (e.g., other maintenance techs, operators, engineers, supervisors, etc.), and properly utilize the maintenance inventory system.
• Interface directly with manufacturing representatives to help drive preventative maintenance schedules, techniques and training.
• Ability to partner with cross functional team(s), manufacturing and the broader technical community during startup to define and document machine setup, maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Troubleshoot and identify potential decision or solutions for controls and instrumentation related errors, safety issues or general operating inefficiencies with assembly production processes.
• Organize, report, train and present technical work to various levels within the organization.
• Create and train standard operating procedures for the baselining, setup and maintenance of assembly equipment.
• Champion process improvement in assigned areas by analyzing equipment maintenance history, identifying significant causes of waste, coordinating with appropriate employees to develop root-cause solutions, and providing maintenance assistance as necessary.
• Provide Preventative Maintenance support for plant and equipment.
• Repair and maintain items necessary to maintain process equipment in cGMP condition
• Assist in day-to-day support of operators, adjustments, setups, and change over
• Responsible to report safety, quality, and regulatory compliance concerns to leadership.
• This is a hands-on role, requiring the candidate to take on project work assigned as an individual contributor, or as a participant on cross functional teams, as well as be able to utilize tools to inspect, repair and maintain equipment.
• Ability to train others including production operators and technicians.
• Requires mechanical aptitude, technical ability, and problem solving skills, ability to read and understand prints, written and verbal instructions and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent attention to detail, good organization, and capable of working independently to a production schedule.
• Critical Thinking -Ability to identify problems and root cause analysis.
Education and Experience:
• At least 5 years of direct experience in working with, troubleshooting and optimizing discrete component assembly equipment controls and instrumentation.
• Engineering Technician Diploma or Associates Degree preferred.
• Electrical License a plus.
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
• Software experience desired, RSLogix Studio 5000, FactoryTalk V Studio ME, ABB Robot Studio, B&R Automation Studio, Cognex DataMan Setup Tool, Sick FlexiSoft Designer, Phoenix Contact - IP Assignment Tool, Maxon ESCON Studio, UltraVNC, Trackmaster, CPX Festo Maintenance Tool, Microsoft Visual Studio C# and VB.Net, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
• Experience with machine networks, facility IT networks, control system components, electronic testing equipment, instrument calibration
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills, and strong presentation skills.
• Sound hands-on technical ability with assembly methodologies including locational methods, setup at assembly, pneumatic actuators, servo motors, limit switches, robotics, steels, plastics, belting methods etc.
• Follows all policies, procedures, ergonomic standards and safety requirements directed by the department.
• Familiarity with HMI's / GUI's (Machine user interfaces) and working in a clean room environment a plus
• Knowledge and experience with post-implementation continuous improvement efforts and methodology is greatly beneficial.
• Experience in a start-up production environment is a plus.
• Required to stand for at least 75% of working time per shift, with walking at least 50% of working time per shift.
• Required to reach above shoulder frequently and below waist occasionally.
• Required to push and pull.
• Ability to lift up to 20lbs occasionally, 5-20lbs frequently.
• International travel to Canada may be required up to 50% of time during the first 3-6 months of factory acceptance testing of equipment at vendor's location.
NOTE: This position requires on-site working (requires on-site office/plant/lab work). #LI-Onsite