UPDATED 7/24/2023 - OPEN UNTIL FILLED
To help maintain classified and limited electrical work in the condition of operating excellence so that full educational use of it may be made at all times.
Journeyman Electrician License, required
High School Diploma or GED, required
Clear driving record, required
Valid Texas driver's Class C license, required
Must be familiar with current International Codes and National Electrical Codes
Ability to read and perform work from engineering plans and specifications
Ability to work on electric starters and contactors
Must be familiar with City and Municipal Electrical and Building Codes and Regulations
Three (3) years of experience in related field, required
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Install and repair wiring, electrical fixtures, apparatus and control equipment.
2. Observe all rules, regulations, codes and other agency requirements in the normal everyday functions of his/her duties.
3. Test continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components by using testing instruments, such as an ohmmeter.
4. Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to detect hazards and need for adjustments, relocation or replacement.
5. Comply with safety and hazardous laws and regulations in the performance of his/her job.
6. Assist in examining school district facilities on a regular basis for the purpose of preventative maintenance.
7. Attend meetings and trainings as required or directed by supervisors.
8. Work outside of regular assigned work schedule to repair and/or replace needed facilities to include night and/or weekend duty as requested.
9. Lead and monitor the work of assigned employees.
10. Follow McAllen ISD customer service standards.
11. Perform other duties assigned by immediate supervisor (primary evaluator).
Shop equipment and tools:
Trencher (ride-able or manual), wire puller (electric or hand pulled), conduit bender (hydraulic or mechanical), electric drills, voltmeters, ladder, scaffold, small hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, sockets, pliers, crimpers, wire cutters, etc.), hand saws, power tools (saw, drill, sander, etc.), torque wrench, drills, drill press, grinder, jacks, lift equipment, calculator
Vehicles and related equipment:
Light van, seat belts, shoulder harnesses, safety equipment (flares, reflective signs), fire extinguisher, radio communication equipment
Ability to concentrate, communicate effectively (verbal and written), interpret, reason, read, compute, instruct and maintain emotional control under stress; ability to handle several projects at the same time with frequent interruptions
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Ability to frequently lift and carry heavy weights (45 pounds and over), sitting, standing, walking, climbing (stairs, ladder, scaffolds or ramps), balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive hand motions, hearing, speech, visual acuity, distinguishing colors, frequent driving and traveling, exposure to temperature extremes (hot or cold), exposure to humidity extremes, exposure to noise, exposure to low or intense illumination, exposure to vibration, exposure to microwaves, exposure to biological hazards (communicable diseases, bacteria, insects, mold, fungi, etc.), exposure to chemical hazards (asbestos, fumes, vapors, gases, dust, smoke, etc.), exposure to electrical hazards, work outside, prolonged exposure to sunlight, work with hands in water, work around moving object or vehicles, work around machinery with moving parts, work on slippery surfaces, work on uneven surfaces, work alone, work prolonged or irregular hours
Auxiliary Pay Structure: Pay Grade 7
Hourly Pay Range: