Candidates must have 2-5 years of experience in heavy rigging and be able to work on-board ship doing heavy lifting, climbing, bending and be able to work in confined spaces.
- Proper use and care of chain hoists (1 ton to 40 tons) to rig steel piping and machinery where cranes are not available.
- Knowledge of the proper use of wire rope lashing to rig where lifting pads are not installed or available.
- Knowledge of weight calculations, center of gravity and how to apply rigging gear (chain hoists, shackles, and wire ropes) to safely rig and move loads.
- Knowledge of rigging knots, splicing of rope and wire rope reeving and seizing.
- Experience in rigging loads from a crane hook to other rigging points inside a structure or building.
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
**Prior to employment, all new hire candidates must pass a background check and hair follicle drug test.