JOB DESCRIPTION – PIPELAYER
For applicants that don't meet all the requirments listed below, the pay range is $18 - $24/hr. Pay based on experience.
The Pipe Layer is normally responsible for basic manual tasks such as clean up, installation of underground piping (RCP, HDPE, Ductile, or PVC), assistance in excavation/backfill of pipe ditch, shooting grade, assisting in pipe testing, assisting senior crafts people, movement of materials and tools, and performing safety fire watch and confined space attendant duties. The Pipe Layer will work closely with other team members with a goal of obtaining sufficient knowledge and experience. He or she will assist other team members in all assigned tasks.
Bowen is a merit shop contractor, supporting a team-working environment. All employees will be required from time to time to perform other duties outside of their job description and normal work functions.
The standard work environment will be in a facility that is subjected to outdoor weather conditions and must utilize proper personal protective equipment (PPE) in preparation for a variety of potential hazards.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The roles and responsibilities of a Pipe Layer may include but are not limited to the following items.
- Complete assigned tasks with safety and quality in a timely manner
- Excavation and backfill of underground pipe and structures.
- Placement of underground piping to the required drawing and specifications (alignment, levelness, proper joining, etc.)
- Shooting grade for excavation and pipe placement
- Housekeeping of job site.
- Assist in staging materials and necessary tools to execute each work activity and keeping track of all components and materials for his or her job.
- Working within all Bowen and client guidelines.
- Demonstrates proper use and care of tools and equipment.
- Confined space attendant.
- Fire watch.
- Supplied air attendant.
- Completion of JSA’s.
- Fully participate in health, safety, quality, and environmental processes.
- Is an ambassador of Bowen to the client, other contractors, and to the public.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Use of a tape measure
- Set up and connect welding leads and air hoses.
- Proper set up and connect of oxygen/acetylene burning outfit.
- Use of mop, shovel, broom, etc.
- Tape coating or PVC wrap of underground pipe.
- Anti-seize bolts.
- Installation and removal of isolation devices (blinding, LOTO, etc.) required for pipe testing.
- Use of tag line to unload pipe and equipment.
- Knowledge of pipe joining for RCP, PVC, HDPE, Ductile (including bolting)
- Basic math.
- Basic hand and power tool knowledge. Use of related power and hand tools such as hammer drill, 4’ level, dumpy level, pry bar, etc.
- Basic grouting skills.
- Basic knowledge of construction terminology.
- Read and understand the use of permits, work authorizations, JSA’s, and associated procedures.
- Ability to effectively receive and communicate verbal directions from supervisors, clients, managers, and other team members.
- Complete appropriate Bowen skills assessment test(s).
- Able to certify as a confined space attendant, supplied air overseer, fire watch, and supplied air attendant if required.
- Must have valid driver’s license or other government issued identification.
- Must comply with Bowen’s drug and alcohol policy.
- May be required to pass physical examination (pre-employment if necessary) as required by Bowen.
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairways.
- Must be able to carry 50 lbs. of tools and/or materials.
- Must be able to work at elevated heights as well as in confined spaces. (Towers, vessels, excavations, etc.)
- Must be able to work extended hours on your feet on uneven surfaces. (Dirt, concrete, asphalt, mud, gravel, etc.)
- Must be able to pass applicable site-specific training.
- Must undertake the appropriate safety/environmental training commensurate with the position and location.
- Must be able to read and understand safety instructions, signs, labels and permits in English.
- Must be willing to attend continued training required by Bowen when deemed necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- > 3-5 years of experience installing underground pipe