Currently seeking a Shipyard Structural Welder
This position is responsible for accomplishing, with minimal supervision, production welding on a ship or in a shop to support structural repairs and modernization of marine vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
2. Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment naming convention.
3. Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Must be able to effectively confer job related information to the supervisor.
5. Must understand SMAW, FCAW, and GMAW.
6. Must be able to certify in all positions:
SMAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
FCAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
GMAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
7. Must be able to interpret drawings, specifications, and Navy/MSC/ABS standards manuals.
8. Must possess a working knowledge of welding equipment and work processes used in marine welding.
9. Must be able to operate and care for welding equipment, portable power tools, and hand tools used to accomplish assigned work.
10. Be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
11. Must understand the US customary and metric measurement system.
12. Must have up to four (4) years of welding experience in a related field.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Must be able to perform the essentials of the position including the ability to work heights, enter tanks, voids and cofferdams to perform competent person duties.
Must be able to climb vertical ladders, work around moving machinery and perform tasks while using sky climber, scissor lift and/or condor.
Ability to read and understand blueprints, military standard/specifications, Regulatory Body Requirements and Shipbuilding Specifications.
Possesses a good general knowledge of ship repair procedures and test requirements.
Skilled in blueprint reading, precision instrument utilization, and technical manual interpretation.
Ability to set, self-calibrate and use assigned testing, inspection, and QA instruments.
Fundamental problem-solving skills. Able to use basic Lean and Six Sigma principles to provide recommended solutions to identified or perceived problems.
A limited benefit plan is available to Hutco, Inc. Employees through Essential Staff Care. Available plans include:
Medical / Prescription
Short Term Disability Benefits
Term Life Benefits
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit