JOB DESCRIPTION – PIPELAYER / Underground
For applicants that don't meet all the requirments listed below, the pay range is $24 - $32/hr. Pay based on experience.
A Pipe Layer job in Knoxville, TN. is available through Bowen Construction. To be considered for this position you must have previous experience with pipe laying. As a Pipe Layer, you will assemble, install and repair underground pipes and fittings. This includes, but not limited to ductile iron pipe, metallic, plastic pipe, steel pipe and concrete pipe for water, sewer and drain work.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Prepare the area in which pipe will lay by directing trenching and grading.
- Perform functions of a Laborer as required.
- Assist Equipment Operators in the placement of pipe.
- Rigging pipe for lifts and placement.
- Direct Equipment Operators with hand signals.
- Backfill around pipe using hand tools.
- Set-up and work with pipe lasers and transits.
- Locate and mark the correct position of pipe and fittings in an underground trench.
- Assemble and install valves, fitting and pipe composed of ductile iron, various types of metals, PVC, and reinforced concrete piping.
- Measures and cuts pipe to length.
- Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, and plastic solvent cement.
- Test pipes for leakage. Using Hydrostatic test equipment.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Four years of experience installing large diameter pipes for water, sewer, storm drain.
- Understand and perform assigned tasks.
- Experience in working with construction tools such as impacts, wrenches, Demo-saw’s, grinders, tape measure, torpedo level, laser, and radios.
- Experience in reading and understanding blueprints and specifications to determine work procedures.
- Must be self-motivated and able to problem solve.
- Must be able to work in tight positions.
- Must be able to work on your feet for an entire day.
- Must be able to verbally communicate with team on BOWEN provided handheld radios.