Education Requirements: High school equivalency and successful completion or enrollment in a 4-year lineman apprenticeship program or lineman journeyman certificate from an accredited trade school or 48 months of validated line construction work experience and a minimum score of 80% on the district or utility Lineman Journeyman exam. A valid Class "A" driver's license issued by Department of Motor Vehicles is required. Rubber Gloves and/or Hot Sticks Certification required.
Experience: 48 months of validated line construction experience or a 4-year lineman program.
Essential Job Functions
- Work safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized underground work.
- Sets pad mount transformers.
- Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
- Works in underground trenches and manholes.
- Understands and uses basic rigging, hand lines, and lineman knot tying.
- Able to identify primary and secondary voltage on a circuit and familiar with induced voltage.
- Assists with the installation and hook up of a single phase transformer.
- Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
- Understands the basic concepts of equipment set up and grounding.
- Understands minimum approach distance, and excavation and shoring requirements.
- Capable of checking voltage on transformers; installing and removing a service; and properly inspecting rubber goods and PPE.
- Climbs different types of structures (wood, steel, etc.) and possess the necessary tools to do so.
- Understands how and when to use Kellum grips.
Performs additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires frequent standing, walking, lifting/carrying (up to 50 pounds frequently, up to 100 pounds occasionally) pushing, reaching, handling, use of fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, bending, twisting, and climbing. Occasional balancing and rarely requires sitting; continuous balancing required climbing poles, towers, ladders and in other aspects of the job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.