Education Requirements: Enrolled in a four-year federally approved technical training program in electrical repair and maintenance; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Working knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
Experience: Some experience preferred.
Position Summary: Assists with Installs, repairs, and maintains motors, transformers, generators, lights, appliances, circuits, wiring, and other electrical system equipment and components in compliance with electrical codes, standards, and regulations. Assists and operates a variety of electrical testing equipment in locating and determining types of electrical malfunctions. Studies plans, drawings, specifications, and work orders to assist with determining work requirements and sequence of installations.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists with the assembly, installation, testing, and maintaining electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Assists with the diagnoses of malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Assists with connecting wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Assists with the inspection of electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Advise management on whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous.
- Assists with the testing of electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Assist with plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Assist with preparing sketches or following blueprints to determine the location of wiring and equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment including oscilloscopes, ammeters, and test lamps.
- Assist with installing ground leads and connect power cables to equipment, such as motors.
- Assist with repairing or replacing wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, and roofs to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures.
- Assist with placing raceways inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Construct and fabricate parts, using hand tools and specifications.
- Assist with fastening small metal or plastic boxes to walls to house electrical switches or outlets.
- Perform physically demanding tasks, such as digging trenches to lay conduit and moving and lifting heavy objects.
- Provide assistance during emergencies by operating floodlights and generators, placing flares, and driving needed vehicles.
- Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and knowledge of OSHA’s safe energized working clearances.
- Possess a basic knowledge of materials used in line work.
- A good understanding and working knowledge of substations.
- Ability to connect conductors and other wires within substations.
- Ability to obtain a Class “A” Commercial Driver’s license.
- Able to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
- Forklift experience preferred.
- Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
- Must be able to work outside, frequently in inclement weather.
- Capable of working at heights and/or confined spaces.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Self-motivated, and team & customer oriented
- Must be able to follow Company safety rules and all other Company policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires frequent standing, walking, lifting/carrying (up to 50 pounds frequently, up to 100 pounds occasionally) pushing, reaching, handling, use of fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, bending, twisting, and climbing. Occasional balancing and rarely requires sitting; continuous balancing required climbing poles, towers, ladders and in other aspects of the job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.