Education Requirements: One year certificate/diploma from a technical school; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: One year of related experience.
Position Summary: Operates hydraulic excavator/backhoe to load earth into trucks or into stockpiles. Excavation may be a mass excavation or a closely engineered trench for pipe placement.
Essential Job Functions
- Starts engine, shifts gears, presses pedals, turns steering wheel, and move throttles to operate equipment.
- Moves levers to lower and tilt bucket and operates equipment forward to scope material into bucket.
- Moves levers to raise and tilt bucket when filled, drives vehicle to work site, and moves levers to dump material.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment such as lubricating, fueling, and cleaning.
- Greases, oils, and performs minor repairs on equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.