Welder (Structural, Pipe, Tube, etc)
For Any Of the Following Job Locations (Provided we have openings at these locations):
(HII - Newport News Shipyard; HII Mechanical Fab Shop; Palo Verde Nuclear Plant or any other location available)
This is a general application and does not guarantee that we will have an opening, but what it does do is put you on a list incase we have openings that suit your qualifications.
Lays out, aligns and welds components that are fabricated, cast and forged to assemble structural forms
such as machinery frames, tanks, pressure vessels, furnace shells, buildings and pipe, according to blueprints and metallurgy.
- Selects type and size of pipe or other related materials and equipment according to specifications.
- Selects equipment and plans layouts, assembly, and welding, applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal machining, and welding techniques.
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc, Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded Metal Arc welding processes.
- Lays out, positions, aligns and fits components together in various body positions.
- Bolts, clamps and welds together metal components of products such as piping systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes, using arc and arc gas welding equipment.
- May weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead position.
- May tack weld assemblies together.
- Connects cable from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope and pulse as specified by procedure or supervisor.
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable welding gun.
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.
- Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece.
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining length of arc and speed and movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle.
- May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal.
- May clean or degrease weld joint or workplace, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath.
- May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes.
- May remove excess weld, defective weld material, slag and spatter, using carbon arc gouge, hand scrapper, grinder or power chipper.
- May preheat work piece, using hand torch or heating furnace.
- May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment and supplies.
- May assist in lifting, positioning and securing of materials and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and equipment.
- Assists other mechanics as needed.
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required.
- Required to pass employer performance tests or standard tests to meet certification standards.
- Performs only procedures certified in.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules.
- Performs other duties as required.