Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related degree; or equivalent combinations of education and work experience. Professional certification (e.g. CPA) preferred.
Experience: Minimum two (2) years of tax accountant, tax analyst or tax preparer experience required.
Position Summary: The tax accountant is accountable for the collection of all tax-related information; and reporting to taxation authorities at the federal, state, county, and local levels in a timely manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists external tax preparers with federal, state, and local tax documents for, federal, state, shareholder, extensions, and quarterly payments.
- Prepares and reviews other tax filings: Property tax, Sales and Use Tax.
- Assists with the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process activities by maintaining financial data, closing entries, accruals, prepaids and reconciliations as well as providing variance analysis (year-end 1099s).
- Maintains compliance with regulations by forwarding required information to federal, state, and local authorities.
- Completes quarterly and annual tax reports.
- Coordinates sales and use tax audits which include data gathering and analysis for most favorable settlements.
- Resolves tax notices from IRS or other tax authorities.
- Performs local tax research for construction project estimating and maintain tax database.
- Prepares various personal property tax returns.
- Communicates with shareholders, departments and tax authorities regarding tax issues and requirements.
- Maintains required level of technical knowledge by keeping abreast of current developments in the tax area.
- Recommends tax strategies by researching federal, state, and local taxation issues.
Additional Job Functions
- Assists with other projects as they arise.
- Identifies opportunities for streamlining work and reducing waste in order to improve efficiency.
- Collaborates and cooperate with all corporate departments.
- Performs additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills with a proficient knowledge of accounting regulations, practices, and procedures.
- An analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude, accurate, and detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and work with deadlines.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Acts with humility, preparedness and confidence.
- Computer Skills (Microsoft Office suite programs, JD Edwards, Reporting Software, Analytics software and Internet).
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with a team.