C.A. Jones is seeking for 1st and 2nd class shipfitters and 1st & 2nd class pipe welders for naval projects currently underway Norfolk & Newport News, VA. Welders will be required to obtain weld certifications in stick and flux core processes (must certify in all positions). Shipfitters will be required to pass torch testing.
- Lays out and fabricates metal structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship for riveting or welding.
- Lays out position of parts on metal, working from blueprints or templates and using scribe and hand tools.
- Locates and marks reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
- Positions parts in hull of ship, assisted by RIGGER.
- Aligns parts in relation to each other, using jacks, turnbuckles, clips, wedges, and mauls.
- Marks location of holes to be drilled and installs temporary fasteners to hold part in place for welding or riveting.
- Installs packing, gaskets, liners, and structural accessories and members, such as doors, hatches, brackets, and clips.
- May prepare molds and templates for fabrication of nonstandard parts.
- May tack weld clips and brackets in place prior to permanent welding.
- May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts, using shop machinery, such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
- Must have a least 3 years shipyard experience.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Must be able to work at heights.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Must be available to work all 3 shifts as required.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to work in confined and enclosed spaces.
Education And Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have experience setting up, troubleshooting, and utilizing weld machines.
- Must have experience laying out and measuring utilizing the metric system.
- Must have experience working with blueprints.
- Must have experience working with hand tools.
- Must have experience working with overhead cranes to include safe rigging of equipment to be lifted.
Competitive Wages (Qualified non-locals will be eligible to receive an hourly rate plus per diem)
Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance