Education Requirements: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: At least 2 years of WTG (Vestas, GE, or Siemens) experience required.
Position Summary: Technically skilled in the installation of Wind Turbine Generators. This position will have in-depth knowledge of WTG (Vestas, GE, or Siemens), quality, processes, flagging crane, installing loose components for nacelle, hub, blades and tower sections, managing tag lines and installation checklist.
Essential Job Functions
- Setup and tear down crane by removing pins and sections, cable and weights; and set boom on truck.
- Set base section by attaching rigging to cranes and taglines to towers; pick and wash tower; install nuts and bolts halfway and lift and grout tower; lower tower onto leveling nuts and secure remaining nuts.
- Assemble rotor by rig hub and blades; stab blades into hubs; rattle nuts inside hub; pitch blades and tie down; and place stands under blades and dead men.
- Set the rotor after washing the rotor and hub; then attach tag lines and remove bolts from shipping bracket; and rig to crane.
- Set the nacelle by climbing the tower and prep top flange; attach rigging and taglines to nacelle; and pick nacelle and clean bottom flange.
- Install the cooler by opening the shipping container (cut bands); pull the parts out; conduct cooler prep work; and lift cooler to position and set, bolt, and torque.
- Set VPM by opening container and inspect; install lifting brackets; drill template holes; and cover controller and secure.
- Set mid, upper mid, and top sections by attaching rigging and tagline to towers; wash and/or paint tower; and align towers and install bolts to secure sections.
- Fill tower with oil and check levels.
- Move cranes by putting outriggers and crane boom in travel position; putting T-bar on flat bed; and scout route and plan movement.
Perform site evaluations and general clean-up.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. The employee must be able to climb and work at heights in excess of 200 feet and in confined spaces. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.