Pipe welders assemble, maintain, and install structural units and piping systems. Manufacturing and fabrication industries of all types hire pipe welders, who work in both indoor and outdoor construction environments. This physically demanding position requires that pipe welders be fit and adept at using specialized tools regardless of weather conditions. More than just a labor job, pipe welders employ critical thinking skills to solve complex, on-site problems as well as to interpret blueprints.
- Weld parts in position for fabrication of vessels, tanks or other structural assemblies.
- Use carbon electrodes to cut, shape and groove metal.
- May prepare workplace for welding by cleaning and/or preheating.
- Examines weld sizes of weld beads.
- Cleans weld area; sweeps and removes scrap.
- Other job duties as may be assigned relevant to trade.
- A minimum of 3 years of Pipe Welding experience.
- OSHA 10-Hour Maritime Certificate.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Possess a working knowledge of and be able to take measurements using the Metric and Imperial measurement systems.
- Be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence in English.
- Ability to effectively confer job related information to the structural supervisor and small groups.
- Ability to read and interpret structural drawings (including weld symbols), sketches, specifications, and NavSea standard items and Navy damage control diagrams.
- Must be able to weld using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (Vertical, Horizontal, and/or Overhead).
- Physical/MedicalSuccessfully pass a Drug and Alcohol Screening.
- Must be Physically and Medically qualified to wear required Personal Protective Equipment for the trade.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds, bend, stretch, and stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, ladders, reach, twist, work at elevated heights and small spaces.
- Must be able to successfully complete welding certification exams.
- Must possess or be eligible to get a DBIDS (Defense Biometric Identification).
- Have flexible schedule, be able to work any shift (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) and do overtime if required.