Join us in the construction of the newest United States aircraft carrier at Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding. Structural Welders will be needed as we continue adding structural fitters / shipfitters. Prior to performing work at HINNS all Welders must successfully pass the below tests at the Newport News welding school. Must be a U.S. citizen and applicants responding to this position will be subject to a background investigation and hair follicle drug testing.
Must be able to work any shift. Must have reliable transportation. Resumes are REQUIRED for consideration.
Four years commercial / industrial / naval experience as a first class Welder.
1. Multi-pass. All position fillet and butt welds using the following processes: SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding). Ability to weld Pulse Arc is preferred.
2. Heating - Oxygen/Propane Heating Torch.
3. Experience working in a physically demanding environment (shipboard, sub-assemblies, ladders, staging, etc.).
4. Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
5. Air Carbon Arc Gouging.
6. Ability to properly use fillet and butt weld gauges.
All Welders will be required to pass all position, Multi-pass Butt Weld, Welder Qualification Tests prior to reporting for the first day of productive work. These tests will be in accordance with MIL-STD-248D Paragraph 5.3.3 and the following:
A. All position (Horizontal (2G), Vertical (3G), and Overhead (4G)) SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) process.
B. All position (Horizontal (2G), Vertical (3G), and Overhead (4G)) FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding) process.
C. Horizontal (2G) position GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) process.
D. Air Carbon Arc Gouging proficiency test.
The Welding School will administer the following tests:
1. All Welding Qualification Tests in “A” (6 hours), “B” (12 hours), “C” (4 hours) above.
2. Visual Inspection of Welds Level I (4 hours).
3. Welders Vision Test (5 minutes).
4. Air Carbon Arc Gouging Proficiency Test (1 hour).
This position offers:
* Competitive wages ($38.00 to $45.00 per hour depending upon certifications obtained)
* Per Diem for Qualified candidates (permanent residence MUST be over 75 miles from of shipyard)
* Long Term work opportunity
* Overtime on an as needed basis
* Health Insurance
* Vacation Bonus
* Holiday Bonus
Thank you for your interest!